Love To Bake Homemade Caramel Lotus Paste


Personally, I don't similar eating mooncakes. I eat, but I won't await for it, but if somebody puts it infront of me, asking me to eat, I'll receive got a small-scale wedge.

I made this because my honey immature adult woman no2, smuggled a pack of lotus seed into my shopping cart when I went to the chinese herbal shop. I paid as well as brought it domicile without me knowing until I divide my goods amongst my woman nurture inward law. Neither me nor her took it. And so... I suspected my daredevil did it. She admitted it amongst a chuckle! Gosh, gosh gosh!



she has to assist out, since she was the 1 who bought it, LOL. wicked mother!

My woman nurture 1 time told me of a delicious lotus seed mooncake that she ate many many years agone inward the 70's. I tin never country no to my mom's asking as well as this time... Lyanne's activeness has pushed me to larn inward for my mom for this year's mooncake festival.

This lotus glue is mildly sweetness as well as I prefer the caramel version every bit it is to a greater extent than fragrant as well as it keeps improve than white lotus glue of which is non caramelized. If y'all desire to brand the white lotus version, simply skip the caramelization as well as slightly trim the carbohydrate every bit there's no bitter caramel for it to offset.


About lotus seeds, my mom prefers the 1 that is whole, as well as comes amongst peel every bit it gives the best flavour, according to her. As always, the less exposure it has, flavor volition last preserved better. My mom also said, never to chill the seeds afterwards soaking every bit they won't soften afterwards boiling. I don't know how truthful is this, but I won't endangerment it.

If you're non comfortable amongst lye water, y'all tin attempt using 1 handful of charcoal ash instead. That's what my grandaunt used dorsum inward those days as well as washing off the ash is messy. I create recall how she did it when I was a kid. Usage of an element of group I solution to soak the lotus seeds is to remain inward softening as well as removal of skin. Maybe y'all tin attempt baking soda but last careful if it bubbles upward when y'all boil it or add together it into hot water. The reaction could last big.


Now since this is my starting fourth dimension elbow grease as well as in all probability my final elbow grease (I don't fancy eating mooncakes, remember, hehe) I am simply ok amongst the result, non to country the best or fifty-fifty rattling good, because it's non smoothen enough. I can't imagine how much crude oil is used inward commercial glue every bit the amount inward this recipe is already jaw dropping.

It's also non every bit sweetness every bit those sold, as well as hence non every bit "moist" also every bit carbohydrate is a humectant.
Looks a fleck dry, sense of savor a fleck dry..but.... inward central for less crude oil less sugar.... I intend it's ok

a fleck on the dry out side,
but it'll plough oily 1 time u set the inverted carbohydrate (maltose or golden syrup) into it.


Caramel Lotus Paste
past times WendyinKK
Makes approximately 1kg of paste

250gm dried lotus seeds
1 tsp alkaline/lye water
50gm+150gm sugar
30gm + 140gm cooking crude oil (I used a blend of canola+sunflower)

1. Put lotus seeds as well as 2L H2O inward a pot. Bring it to boil as well as set inward lye water. Turn off the heat. Let it plough cool (you tin create this the nighttime earlier y'all slumber as well as choke on to footstep ii when y'all wake up).
2. Drain the lotus seeds. Rub the skins off the lotus as well as rinse it clean. Discard bad ones.
3. Split the lotus seeds as well as withdraw the core. Wash them again.
4. Put the cleaned lotus seeds into a pot, amongst plenty H2O to cover, most 1 inch higher than the seeds. Bring to a boil as well as lower to a simmer for 1 hour. It should last tender past times now.
5. Blend everything to a fine paste. (If y'all are using a jug blender, allow the lotus seeds cool downward first, y'all mightiness demand to add together to a greater extent than H2O to effectively blend it fine). Strain as well as discard remnants (There volition last minimal remnants)
6. Heat a non stick pan as well as set inward  30gm crude oil amongst 50gm carbohydrate into the pan. Let it estrus upward on medium estrus until it turns brown.
7. Pour the strained lotus glue into the pan. Stir everything approximately until combined.* Add inward residuum of carbohydrate as well as stir it approximately gently until combined. The glue volition last liquidy again. Then add together inward crude oil past times the tablespoons, adding to a greater extent than solely when the previous spoonful has been good combined.
8. Cook the glue until it becomes thick, slightly glossy as well as it should last slightly pliable.

*If your lotus glue is blended amongst the jug blender, ready it until it's rattling thick earlier adding sugar.







Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close