Love To Bake Penang Nyonya Hong Bak (Braised Pork Alongside Aromatic Spices) - Mff Penang #6


Hong Bak is a dish mutual amidst the Hokkiens. Somehow I practise acquire confused alongside the Hokkien's version of Tau Yew Bak as well as Hong Bak, what's the difference? Please permit me know because they practise await similar to me. Hope to larn to a greater extent than :)

From what I know the East Coast Chinese descendants inwards Kelantan as well as Terengganu makes about other version as well as they combine pork alongside chicken as well as the ingredients are dissimilar too.




So, what brand the Penang Nyonya version different? It's the role of coriander as well as lesser galangal (last painting exhibit below).

After I receive got tried this dish, I knew why I don't quite similar to swallow nyonya dumplings.... it's the combination of edible bean glue alongside coriander seeds that puts me off. My solid unit of measurement don't receive got the same work every bit me, as well as my married adult man happily ate upward all. It's only my personal problem.



Penang Nyonya Hong Bak
Recipe source: Nyonya Flavours  (pg124)

350gm pork belly/trotters (I used belly), cutting into chunks
ii potatoes,  cut into wedges
1 Tbsp Dark Caramel sauce
Salt to taste
ii Tbsp saccharide or to taste
ii Tbsp cooking oil
1 Tbsp edible bean glue (30gm)

Spice Paste
three Tbsp coriander seeds
5gm cekur/lesser galangal root
25gm garlic
100gm shallots

1. Grind the spice paste.
2. Put stone oil inwards heated wok as well as thence saute the glue until fragrant, thence add together inwards the edible bean glue as well as tiddler in i lawsuit again until it smells good.
3. Add the meat inwards as well as tiddler for a piece until the meat plough opaque. Add inwards H2O (enough to embrace the meat) as well as seasonings  , select it dorsum to a boil as well as lower to simmer for forty minutes.
4. Add inwards potatoes, as well as simmer until the murphy is cooked. Add to a greater extent than H2O if necessary.




For your information, Cekur is an of import element inwards Penang Nonya cooking. Also used inwards Indonesian cooking as well as known every bit Kencur. In English, it is called  'Lesser Galangal' as well as lol, don't accept it literally as well as bring down the galangal's amount. Chinese herbal shops practise receive got 'shajiang' powder, if yous cannot discovery fresh cekur. Unfortunately I practise non know how much to live used inwards house of fresh cekur.

I bought these at Kampar's  wet market, toll me RM2 as well as planted the residuum that I didn't role up.


 I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Penang Month 
hosted yesteryear Alan of Travelling Foodies



Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close