Love To Bake Homemade Pineapple Jam

When I was a teen, correct afterwards my SPM (which is something similar middle schoolhouse examination, or O’levels), I made together with sold pineapple tarts to earn some steal coin instead of slaving away at local supermarkets.

That time, I didn’t fifty-fifty intend of selling my tarts, but therefore give-and-take got out afterwards a few tasted my tarts together with came asking whether I desire to brand these for sale. I gave it some idea together with said, ok. My tarts were sold for 100pcs/RM12 (don’t worry, nonetheless made skillful turn a profit from it). My tarts were opened upward faced, weren’t big, but still, dirt cheap. I know, but that was similar xv years ago. Haha, instantly u tin move gauge my age, right? But fifty-fifty that, in that place were some who said my tarts were expensive(mostly women inward their 40’s trying to press a teen for price). But some said, how could I ever accuse a cookie that needs three layers of project that cheap(tart, jam, lattice deco). And those who said that were men, men inward the renovation together with structure line, customers of my family’s java shop. Because when they quote their customers for reno works, it depends on how complicated the project is, together with when they await at my cookie, fifty-fifty though they can’t laid upward nor bake, they’d scream “complication”!!


I made my jam from scratch, I don’t buy. I tried buying once, five years back, together with my household unit of measurement told me never to purchase pineapple jam. NEVER AGAIN. The store(BWY) bought jam smelled of pineapple essence. Not something that nosotros tin move receive got because nosotros are therefore used to existent jam. Well, can’t blame the manufacturers. The fibre used inward the jam, powerfulness live remnants from the pineapple juicing together with canning manufacture where it is almost tasteless yesteryear then, therefore the extra flavouring is inevitable. There is i cookie stall inward Klang Valley’s shopping centres, Shazz Delight who used to brand quite prissy pineapple tarts, but i time they changed their filling to materials that reeks of pineapple essence, that was it. I no longer purchased some other box from them. Before that, I was a regular customer. Call me picky. Yes I am.

Cooking sixteen pineapples at i fourth dimension was my record. I didn’t peel every fruit. Actually I never did until recent years when I no longer stayed at my hometown. I paid 50 sen extra to the fruit seller to receive got them peeled. Well, for professionals, it’s slowly peasy. They’d teach the project done inward only a fraction of the time. That fourth dimension i pineapple was sold for RM1.20, together with 50 sen for peeling, seemed similar 45% extra turn a profit from the fruit. The 50 sen seemed footling inward amount, but substantial yesteryear percentage. I didn’t heed it at all. Even if they desire to accuse me RM1 to peel each fruit, I’d pay too, but of course, I only kept quiet. Hahahahaha!! And I didn’t laid upward all the jam, sixteen fruits inward i large wok. I’d laid upward 4 first, permit the jam reduce, therefore add together more, adding every bit it reduces. Needs skillful bicep operate to teach the jam stirred.

Now if yous enquire me, what varieties of pineapples operate best?

I’d tell Morris. Morris is the most mutual pineapple around. Fruit vendors may non telephone phone it Morris, but perchance telephone phone it, the “usual pineapple”. Please deport inward heed that, here, they don’t fifty-fifty telephone phone greenish apples every bit “granny smiths” but only greenish apple. So, don’t intend that they powerfulness know what yous are talking almost if yous ever enquire them almost Morris. Fruit vendors hither are generally proficient exclusively inward Durian varieties, haha!


Why Morris?
1. It’s large together with inexpensive (this yr I bought each fruit for RM2)
2. It’s real fibrous
3. It’s tart (sourish), doesn’t sense of savor sweet

Pineapple jam is all almost fibre. How much jam you’d teach depends on how much fibre the fruit has. I’d never become for a sweetness eating pineapple like Josapine(not Josephine ok, no such pineapple exists) to brand this jam. Because sweetness eating pineapples are to a greater extent than juicy together with has less fibre. I don't intend you'd role fuji apple to brand your apple tree cake, but role greenish tart baking apples instead, right?  I won’t become for ripe Morris too. Ripe ones are juicier together with of course, less of the crucial stuff. The to a greater extent than nether ripe they are, the to a greater extent than I dear them. Simply because yous tin move add together to a greater extent than sugar. Crazy woman, why role to a greater extent than sugar, isn’t less much better???? Sugar is a preservative. If yous desire your jam to last, brand certain yous role lots of sugar. Tart pineapples allow yous to role lots of saccharide without tasting overly sweet. My cookies were known to terminal for months, together with non a mould or fungus inward sight! My friend kept a box of my tarts inward her closet for almost 4 months together with forgot almost it. And it was nonetheless fine afterwards the 4 months. And I’ve seen some pineapple tarts getting mouldy yesteryear the 15th twenty-four hr menses of CNY. Yucks!!!! So I won’t live trading saccharide amongst fungus. No Way.

If yous desire to enquire me,

Can I trim the sugar?
If yous tin move live certain your tarts are eaten inside 1 week, u may. I won’t convey risks. Anyway, mine is still LESS sweetness together with sticky than store bought ones.

Can I omit the cinnamon?
Cinnamon is a natural antimicrobial spice. It helps inward nutrient preservation. Omit if yous want, but I won’t.

Can I drain the juice earlier cooking therefore that it cooks faster?
You may if yous prefer jam amongst less flavour. The juice has tons of flavor inward it. I’d never create that.



So, here's what you demand to brand pineapple jam, my version.

two large Morris pineapples* (about 1.6kg each fruit earlier peeling, afterwards peeling it’s almost 900gm each)
two cups saccharide (400gm)
1 smallish cinnamon stick

Basically it's 20% sugar.
Weigh your cleaned pineapple together with calculate the saccharide needed.
If yous become yesteryear volume, therefore for every 4 cups of pineapple puree, role 1 loving cup of sugar.

*Take banknote that hypermarket's Morris's are smaller than those at the moisture market

Method:
1. Peel the pineapples. Method constitute inward this post
2. Cut pineapples into chunks. DO NOT DISCARD THE CORE. That business office has the most of the precious fibre.
3. Put one-half the pineapple chunks into a blender, add together 1/3 loving cup of H2O together with blitz away.** Pour 80% of the blended materials into a pan or wok (please, no pot, yous demand a large evaporation surface)
4. With the remaining blended pineapple inward the blender, repeat blending procedure amongst the residue of the pineapples, ever leaving some blended materials inward the blender if yous demand to blend to a greater extent than chunks together with yous won't demand to a greater extent than water.

**If yous worry almost the essence non beingness fine enough, split the essence from the soft flesh together with blend the essence until it's real fine. There's a lot of fibre there.


5. Cook pineapple glue amongst cinnamon stick on medium estrus until it's real pasty, similar thick oatmeal. I don't stir it all the time, run into notes below.
6. Add inward sugar, it'll plow watery again. Turn to lower medium heat, together with laid upward until it is real pasty. Stir i time a piece only, but maintain an oculus on it. See notes below.


7. Increase the estrus to high. Don't stir together with permit the base of operations convey on some colour. It will caramelize the jam. Stir i time a piece to banking concern check on the colour. Stop when it almost reaches your prefered colour. Take banknote that some pans volition maintain to caramelize fifty-fifty when the estrus is off.




Important Notes:
1. Add saccharide inward afterwards the pineapple glue has lost to a greater extent than than 80% of its water. It reduces the gamble of burnt jam together with the most importantly, it splatters horribly when in that place is a lot of H2O amongst the large sum of sugar.
2. Do non stir oft when yous trim the pineapple paste. Once yous stir, it starts splattering again, fifty-fifty amongst no sugar. When it doesn't comprise sugar, it doesn't burn downward that easily. Stirring i time a piece is fine, only maintain an oculus on it. I permit it laid upward together with surf the net, checking it every five minutes. Splattering is no fun, it's real very hot together with the burns are horrible.
3. Use a heavy based pan to create it, if yous can. It reduces the gamble of burning the jam, drastically. But if yous role a regular wok/pan, therefore yous demand to stir it to a greater extent than oft together with yous appear upward a higher gamble of getting wound yesteryear the splattering.
4. Wear kitchen mittens when yous stir to foreclose the splatters from hitting ur manus together with wrist. It tin move splatter upward to my kitchen hood. No joke! So, don't lean frontwards to await at the jam. Your pretty appear upward volition live at risk. CNY is coming, yous volition desire to await your best.
5. Take banknote that the jam volition thicken farther upon cooling. It's best to undercook rather than to overcook the jam. You tin move cool it together with run into the texture. If it's besides wet, yous tin move laid upward it i time again to dry out it, but if it's means besides dry out afterwards cooling, yous tin move exclusively dilute it yesteryear cooking some other pineapple (with sugar) and adding the besides dry out glue into it. Adding H2O powerfulness ruin the sugar formation inward the dry out glue together with motility it non to last long.
6. If yous desire to laid upward to a greater extent than than two pineapples, create non laid upward all at once. Pour inward glue from i fruit into the pan/wok together with permit it reduce. While it reduces, develop the side yesteryear side fruit together with pour inward when it's almost dry. This way, it reduces much faster than cooking all at once, together with yous salvage fourth dimension too. Preparing piece cooking, rather than develop all and cook. Just become yesteryear the ration of i large Morris amongst 1 loving cup saccharide together with it'll operate fine.
7. If yous receive got a kitchen hood, plow it on. Even though it's non smelly or oily, the exhaust volition assist amongst the evaporation. You desire it to live quicker, right?

This was all that I got from two large pineapples.
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 lot of work, but definately worth it.
Lydia fifty-fifty requested the jam to become amongst bread.





Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close