Love To Bake Nian Gao Taro Rolls - Cny Calendar Week #3

 

My father’s sec younger sister, my “Sai Ku Cheh 小姑姐” told me terminal twelvemonth nigh how her friend fried her nian gaos. She flora it to live on really delicious because nian gaos are sweetness in addition to when contrasted amongst a slightly salted coconutty taro filling, it tasted fabulous.

This year, amongst a nian gao given past times my neighbor, I tried out the method she recommended. It was a refreshing alter from the park methods of eating. I gave roughly to neighbours from both sides in addition to brought them to Mike’s shop. No i knew what I was serving them until they fleck into the scroll : ). It was fun making people guess. They all idea I was serving them boundary roll.

**Charissa, delight country your mom nosotros all loved this version.




Nian Gao Taro Rolls
Recipe source: Wendyywy inspired past times Grace Ho
Taro Filling
500gm taro (芋头, keladi )(cleaned weight)
100gm fresh grated coconut
ii Tbsp sugar
1/3- ½ tsp tabular array salt (use 1/3 tsp first, gustation in addition to add together to a greater extent than if needed)
1. Slice taro in addition to steam until cooked(soft).
2. Mash taro piece it’s withal hot in addition to seat inwards coconut, tabular array salt in addition to sugar. Mix until good combined


Assembly
300gm nian gao, cutting into ii inch long strips (mine were anywhere from 8-12gm each)
Spring scroll wrappers (125mmX125mm)
Egg white to brush on edges

1. Place wrapper onto a apartment surface, eg: a plate.
2. Place 1 tbsp of taro filling onto wrapper (I used 20gm filling since I had nigh 32 pieces of nian gao), lightly spread it out.
3. Place 1 pc of nian gao onto taro in addition to roll (see pictures)
4. Brush border amongst egg white earlier rolling up.
5. Fry the prepared rolls inwards medium- medium depression estrus until golden.




Frying was a breeze, no splattering in addition to fifty-fifty the wrapping is hot difficult to do, because the taro filling is non soggy moisture only slow to possess got cos it won’t autumn apart.
I made nigh 29 rolls from this recipe.

The sunlight today was bad, my pictures had high dissonance problems. Somehow I'm showtime to abhor taking pictures. It's getting boring, LOL.

Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close