Scottish Oatcakes – The Pancake, Non The Paperweight

If yous Google, “Scottish Oatcakes,” you’ll run into lots of pictures of what looks similar thick, dense, pressed oatmeal cookies, which is the around mutual version of this recipe. To live on honest, I’m non a huge fan of those, since they tend to live on real heavy, as well as filling, as well as non actually something I desire to characteristic equally the centerpiece for a fancy brunch menu.

However, in that place is or as well as thence other pancake-like version, as well as this is my twist on that. I should’ve likely come upwards up amongst my own, to a greater extent than appropriate name, but I actually love proverb “Scottish Oatcakes,” as well as it simply sounds similar something you’d desire to swallow for breakfast.

Once yous mix upwards your batter, yous tin create it correct away, which produces something that looks identical to what nosotros accept here, except the texture volition live on much to a greater extent than toothsome. I practise savour that approach, but if yous allow the mixture sit down for a while, the oats maintain to soften, resulting inwards a creamier center. I’ve also allow this larn overnight, which volition rank yous a texture real similar to actual oatmeal. 

Regardless, you’re all the same going to larn a beautifully browned, crusty exterior; as well as it’s that contrast that makes this as well as thence unique. Some people similar to add together dried fruit to these, but I practise not. The same goes for the traditional pinch of cinnamon, since I actually don’t desire these to gustatory modality similar oatmeal raisin cookies. As usual, conform yourself, but either way, I actually practise promise yous rank these groovy oatmeal pancakes a show soon. Enjoy!



Ingredients for half-dozen Scottish Oatcakes:
(this is alone ii portions, as well as thence experience costless to double or triple the recipe)
1 cups *rolled oats
1 loving cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 large egg
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 loving cup **self-rising flour
1/4 loving cup melted butter for panfrying

* I used the regular kind, but if yous accept to work the minute ones, I likely wouldn’t create them. I’d simply mix them amongst the cream, as well as allow it sit down until the mixture thickened up. By the way, this is simply a theory, equally I’ve never attempted.

** If yous don’t accept self-rising flour, simply add together 1/4 loving cup of all-purpose flour, summation 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, as well as an extra pinch of salt.
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close