Love To Bake Cinnamon Fried Plantain @ Horn Banana - Local Fruits # 3


Have yous always tasted a Ham Chin Peng (咸煎饼Chinese fried “bun”) flavoured fried banana? Haha, this is one.

When I saw a bunch of plantains at a Malay stall, I straightaway wanted to purchase one. Just this 1 cost me RM3. It seemed pretty expensive for only 1 banana right? But when I asked Mike’s worker, who owns a banana plantation herself close the plantain I only bought, she said, it’s normally sold at RM5/kg. So, the 1 I got was worth the price. But she also commented my banana was non mature when picked. She said, the bring upward halt of the fruit should hold upward to a greater extent than enclosed.



Plantains or Pisang Tanduk(horn banana) equally called hither are non eating bananas. They are meant for cooking. You can’t tegument in addition to consume it similar that, you’d puke. It’s starchy in addition to floury when raw, but when cooked, it turns soft in addition to sweet. There are other varieties of cooking bananas here, namely pisang raja (king’s banana), pisang abu (ash banana), pisang nipah (palm banana) in addition to lots lots more. The diverseness of bananas nosotros bring hither is crazy. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 skilful alternative of eating in addition to cooking bananas. The locals volition normally tyke this pes long banana amongst batter. Sometimes it’s sliced, sometimes it’s halved. And when it’s fried half, imagine eating a 2inch broad banana. You actually bring to gag it in. Hahaha!! Crude!

When Mike saw me buying this, he asked me, “What create yous desire to create amongst this? You’re non a Ghanaian.” The argue he said this was that, during his few months inwards Republic of Ghana when he WAS withal an Oracle Consultant he ate plantains almost every twenty-four hours for every repast except breakfast. Plantains to Ghanaians are equivalent of rice to us. They serve it steamed in addition to fried mostly. He recognized it the instant I bought it. Hahaha! Which was rather odd to bring him knowing his food. LOL. Shhhh..


It took me to a greater extent than than two weeks to teach the “thang” to ripen. I wrapped the fruit inwards paper in addition to pose it on the counter. Mike’s worker said never pose it on the flooring equally it’ll spoil, hence I left it on the counter, checking it every two days. She has already warned me it’ll hold upward long equally mine was young when picked. Immature is non the same equally nether ripe. It’s called 不够水,not 不熟. It’s similar mangoes if picked when immature, no affair how yellowish they plow later, they’d hold upward sour sour sour. But if they were picked when mature but withal green, subsequently on they’d plow sweetness in addition to yellow.

Initially I wanted to tyke the plantain arranged it inwards a blossom pattern, but hence I failed. So, inwards the halt I dumped roughly cinnamon into batter in addition to fried it while yesteryear slice. The trial was a Ham Chin Peng flavoured banana fritter. Hahaha!
I tot it won’t hold upward good received equally I also fried roughly inwards regular batter, but I was wrong. Everybody loved the cinnamon one. Haha, in addition to they said, it was special.

these are the manifestly ones


Cinnamon Fried Plantain
Recipe source: Wendyywy

1 big plantain / pisang tanduk / horn banana
The batter
100gm rice flour
100gm all job flour
two Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 egg
150ml H2O or any total needed

1. Combine all the dry out ingredients in addition to brand a good inwards the center.
2. Break egg into a criterion loving cup in addition to add together inwards H2O until it reaches 200ml.
3. Pour egg mixture into the dry out ingredients in addition to mix until a smoothen batter is achieved.
4. Peel plantain in addition to while it thinly, close 3mm thick.
5. Dip each while into batter in addition to tyke on medium estrus until golden brown.

Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close