Love To Bake Belanda Hu Threadfin Alongside Aromatic Tamarind Gravy- Mff Penang #7



When I saw this recipe... past times the looks of it... rather dull, rather boring.
The moving-picture present inwards the majority was all beige.... beige only. I can't fifty-fifty run into the chilli
But after tasting it.. nooooooooo, it's not.

How oftentimes nosotros are taken only amongst looks, right?

The name.... I curious, how does this fish relate to the Dutch? Belanda is Dutch inwards Malay. And Hu is fish inwards Hokkien. Fusioned advert :)




I read Nonya Flavours 1 time to a greater extent than together with 1 time to a greater extent than and, thinking I stimulate got fish steaks inwards the freezer, I took honour of the fish recipes. Then I saw this dull looking dish, ......... the ingredients. It looked similar a familiar dish, but the ingredients is a combination that I never heard of, don't verbalise virtually taste. It's difficult to imagine an assam sauce that is cinnamony together with yet fragrant amongst soooo much shallots together with garlic. I decided to plow over this a try.
Alan, the MFF Penang host told me, it MUST hold upward kurau, no other fish for Belanda Hu.

My mood straightaway went down. I stimulate got Kerisi steaks inwards the freezer, but no Kurau. Wait.... hold off for the adjacent grocery trip, together with let's run into if I'm lucky.


I was lucky! And the cost was steeper than Salmon. Gosh!

I am glad I cooked this fish together with I volition definitely hit this 1 time to a greater extent than another day, but haha, I won't trammel myself to only the Kurau, but for this event, let's endeavour to stick to the ways of the Penangites :)

If you lot similar fried shallots, you'll greatly savour the super generous sprinkling of fried shallots all over, yum yum!


Belanda Hu (Dutch Fish)
Recipe source: Nonya Flavours  

300gm Threadfin (Kurau/Senangin) steaks
half dozen shallots, sliced
four large cloves of garlic, sliced
50gm tamarind pulp rubbed amongst 250ml H2O (I used 125ml cos I don't similar also much gravy)
1 cinnamon stick
1 ruddy chilli, sliced
ii Tbsp saccharide (I used 2.5 Tbsp)
Salt to sense of savor if needed (I didn't purpose any)

1. Put inwards 3-4 Tbsp of petroleum into a frying pan together with tardily saute the shallots on medium depression oestrus until golden. Drain together with dish up. Then saute the the garlic slices until golden together with crispy too. Drain together with dish up.
2. With remaining petroleum inwards pan, youngster the fish steaks until golden. Drain together with dish up.
3. Put the cinnamon stick into the pan (still amongst oil) together with on medium depression heat, hit the cinnamon stick for almost 1 minute.
4. Strain the tamarind juice into the pan. Put inwards chilli slices together with thence bring down to almost preferred sum of gravy (It'll bring down fifty-fifty to a greater extent than later). Adjust the sense of savor amongst saccharide together with tabular array salt if needed.
5. Put one-half the crispy shallots together with garlic into the gravy together with thence the fried fish steaks. Let it simmer for a curt piece (10-20 secs) together with dish up.
6. Sprinkle amongst remaining crispy shallot together with garlic.




 I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Penang Month 
hosted past times Alan of Travelling Foodies
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close