Love To Bake Tee Nya Kuih - Penang Mff #1


This month's MFF is Penang's turn. One of the most famous spots for expert nutrient inwards Malaysia.

If yous e'er inquire me nearly Penang nutrient that I can't honor out of the state, this volition live the outset response from me.

Famous Penang cuisine similar Asam Laksa, Prawn Noodle, Char Kway Teow or Nasi Kandar is establish all over Malaysia, too inwards almost every Malaysian eating seat overseas. But non Tee Nya Kuih.





Where did I honor this? At Swatow lane. I every bit having approximately hawker fare at that spot too I saw two mobile stalls selling this light-green too yellowish affair inwards containers packed alongside a handbag of palm carbohydrate syrup. Being the curious me, I certainly volition purchase one. One stall calls it 甜仔糕(sweet guy kuih), approximately other stall called it 靓仔糕 (handsome guy kuih), but the English linguistic communication discussion at the stalls are all Tee Nya Kuih. LOL, whatever!

My outset bite, it felt soft, too bouncy. Not mucilaginous at all too alongside a wonderful element of group I aroma. The syrup was to top away for! But my fav role was yet the bounce, almost similar eating  jelly. My hubby who isn't a fan of element of group I dumplings, didn't honor this kuih interesting, but it was otherwise for me, I was all ga-ga. It became the must-eat for me whenever I operate to Penang too purposely brand my hubby displace to Swatow lane to teach my fix.


I know that the tee nya kuih has an additive used inwards it.... that is truly a banned substance. It is stated inwards recipes too my neighbor uses it every bit good for her element of group I kuih. It is commonly establish inwards our nutrient materials similar manufactory made oily moist noodles inwards bags, or the element of group I dumplings that doesn't stick to the bamboo leafage or super springy fishballs. If this nub is non seat in, the texture of Tee Nya kuih volition plough sticky, too it won't give yous a construct clean chew.

The older generation people commonly won't  detest to consuming this substance, similar they say , "a footling flake won't top away la!. If not, it won't live overnice to eat.". Personally, I volition endeavour to avoid using if I can, but I won't say no if I were to live served nutrient laced alongside it. To those of yous who totally abhor the work of borax, yes, avoid all those nutrient that I mentioned. How much tin yous avoid?


Tee nya kuih is traditionally made alongside rice flour too borax. But I tried making tee nya kuih without borax. I imagined the texture too what type of flours should live used, since obviously rice flour volition brand the whole affair sticky. I added tapioca starch for pliability, the mung edible bean starch for a construct clean chew... Although it is yet slightly sticky, but I'm satisfied alongside this result. Not every bit good bad for a borax costless version.
And the expert intelligence is.. it tin live chilled too won't plough floury :)

Warning: Do non swallow Tee Nya Kuih on its own. It is yucky! Must live served alongside the syurp. Then it becomes heavenly.


Tee Nya Kuih (Borax Free)
past times WendyinKK 

25gm rice flour
25gm tapioca starch
25gm mung edible bean starch (green pea flour)
300gm H2O + 1/4 tsp element of group I water
1 driblet yellowish nutrient colouring
1 driblet light-green nutrient colouring

1. Mix all the flours together. Add inwards H2O too element of group I waterand attain inwards a small-scale pot until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
2. Divide the batter into two too mix alongside the nutrient  colouring.
3. Very lightly petroleum two rice bowls too seat the batter in. Level the surface.
4. Steam on medium oestrus for xx minutes.
5. Leave to cool downwards for iv hours (best 8 hours) at room temperature earlier serving. (gives a cleaner cutting alongside  long resting time)
6. Cut into cubes alongside a plastic knife too serve alongside palm carbohydrate kokosnoot cream syrup.

 I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Penang Month 
hosted past times Alan of Travelling Foodies

Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close