Love To Bake Telur Pindang Leafage Braised Eggs - Mff Johor #3


Telur pindang is a traditional delicacy of those of Javanese descent inwards Johor. The eggs are simmered for iii days iii nights inwards a concoction of leaves in addition to spices, sometimes upwards to vii days vii nights. It is said to go the nutrient of the olden 24-hour interval traders who go for days because this egg could popular off along for ii weeks. It is a mutual door gift used inwards Malay Weddings particularly for the Johoreans, but it is used inwards other states too, because it is to a greater extent than special than regular difficult boiled eggs used inwards Bunga Telur

I'm am used to eating braised eggs, but commonly the Chinese style. Tea eggs is i of my favourites. This is something similar but non the same. 

During my twelvemonth inwards Johor, I receive got seen it before, but never eaten whatever there, because I didn't know what it was. That chocolate-brown shiny egg sitting at my favourite soto stall. (wonder why mine is dull)


When I got to know most this dish, seeing the materials I demand to find, I was thinking to myself, "This is CRAZY". Where tin I honor such things? And the eggs are boiled for iii days?

But then... every bit I drove along the roads each day, I hence noticed that almost everything is roughly me, except for the mangoesteen leaves. Then I asked my hubby's staff whether she has mangoesteen at home, in addition to she told me she has a few trees correct inwards her yard! And so, I receive got establish all the leaves I need.

If you lot await at the amount of materials I gathered.... LOL. It's a lot! Actually I gathered besides much. My pot could exclusively accomodate this much but I gathered plenty for almost 200 eggs. My kitchen patio was strewn amongst leaves everywhere. LOL.


Now, where did I honor those plants.....

Mangoesteen - Staff's house
Senduduk- playground nearby
Guava- relative's house
Galangal stalk- Staff's household but it's establish inwards my neighbourhood too, only that I don't receive got the guts to ask.
Garlic in addition to shallot skin- FREE from grocery stores 
The balance are easily establish in addition to bought

You tin purpose other leaves similar Noni, turmeric, coriander, Indonesian bay leaf, mint or whatever fragrant herbs, but the basic few should remain, every bit inwards the Mangoesteen, senduduk in addition to guava every bit these iii are believed to stain the eggs brown. Some fifty-fifty add together chilli. Lots of variations on the internet. 


All prepared in addition to ready to cook. I used exclusively 1/3 of these, Too much of everything, LOL.

I know you lot desire to know how this egg gustatory modality like. My hubby's staff described it every bit the smell of ginger braised chicken amongst soy sauce. Not bitter, naught weird. Just fragrant in addition to savoury. That staff had a bad sense amongst telur pindang that looked really very black in addition to tasted genuinely astringent. He was quite scared to accept his showtime bite, but later i egg, he asked for another.

Even when the eggs are boiled for hence long, you lot mightiness mean value they gustatory modality similar rubber. But no, they are not. The egg whites nonetheless gustatory modality tender. Which is form of heed boggling, right? Tea eggs tastes to a greater extent than rubbery than these.

It is said that the eggs volition final ii weeks at room temperature.
It was non the same illustration amongst me. past times the fourth day, the season diminished in addition to fifth day, it tasted awkward.
I idea it would keep, but it wasn't the illustration amongst me. Best kept chilled later the 2d 24-hour interval if you lot desire to popular off along it for a long time.


If you lot were to read through the recipe, the iii days boiling is genuinely non continuous. It's only for a few hours each day. But does it matter?? iii days?

Yes it does.

First day: Colour on musical rhythm out in addition to egg white. Egg white is salty, but no aroma.
2d day: Egg white has smell but yolk is nonetheless similar whatever other yolk.
tertiary day: Flavour in addition to smell penetrates throughout the egg.

So, it's ok to accept the shortcut, but the season volition go inferior. Some people say, boil the egg without the musical rhythm out for quick penetration. hmm... Maybe I'll endeavor that side past times side time, but non this time, because I desire to go CRAZY, LOL.

the inner color is the same, I can't distinguish the departure inwards taste

Telur Pindang
WendyinKK's version

50 eggs Grade C
xv pcs Mangoesteen foliage (mature in addition to young)
10 sprigs of Senduduk
thirty pcs of guava leaf
1 galangal stalk
ii inches of galangal root, sliced thickly, unpeeled
five stalks lemon grass (leaves in addition to stem)
10 pcs of pandan foliage (optional)
10 pcs of kaffir lime foliage (optional)
30gm coriander seed
15gm fennel seeds
15gm cumin seeds
ii handful of garlic skin
ii handful of shallot/onion skin
Few pieces of asam gelugor or some vinegar
iii Tbsp sugariness soy sauce (kecap manis)
1 heaped Tbsp salt

1. Rinse the leaves in addition to tear/cut them into smaller sizes if needed.
2. Rinse the eggs.
3. Arrange some of each leaves on the base of operations of your pot.
4. Arrange eggs onto the leaves.
5. Sprinkle the spices in addition to skins over, in addition to some asam.
6. Repeat amongst the leaves, eggs in addition to spice layering.
7. When the eggs are all arranged inwards the pot, embrace amongst to a greater extent than leaves.
8. Put soy sauce in addition to salt. Pour H2O over until it submerges all the eggs.
9. Place a plate on the overstep in addition to convey to a boil.
10. Lower to a simmer for four hours. Turn off the heat. Let it rest.
11. The side past times side day, convey it dorsum to a boil in addition to lower to a simmer for iii hours. Turn off the estrus in addition to permit it rest. Repeat this the side past times side 24-hour interval too.
12. When the pot has totally cooled, fish out the eggs in addition to wipe amongst kitchen newspaper towels. Egg is ready for distribution.




The raw egg in addition to the Pindang Egg

Before I terminate this post, I'd similar to limited a large give thank you lot you to my beloved reader Aishah Sazali who has helped me a lot every bit I prepared this egg. Her dad makes these eggs to sell in addition to she is from Johor. Thank you lot Aishah.

I am submitting this to Annie of Annielicious Food

Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close