Love To Bake Steamed Cucumber Amongst Dried Shrimp 蒸青瓜- Cucurbits #3


I know this sounds weird to many.

Both my sis inwards laws, although Cantonese, bring never heard or eaten this.
So far, I bring never bumped into anyone who has eaten this before, equally good my relatives.

This dish is uncomplicated to prepare, alongside uncomplicated flavours, doesn't await appealing but nosotros notice it appetizing. We grew upwards alongside it. The gravy was lite together with sweet. It's only a frugal homey dish.
I think once, when I was virtually 10, I had three bowls of rice (spread out inwards a bridge of ii hours) only because the cucumber that solar daytime was absolutely delicious. I only ate my rice alongside this steamed cucumber addition about gravy.




In Perak, nosotros telephone vociferation upwards cucumbers "cheang gua", 青瓜, together with non "wong gua" 黄瓜. Wong Gua is the old cucumber that nosotros purpose to boil soup.

Sometimes cucumbers are bitter. This is the means grandaunt taught me on how to describe the bitterness out from cucumbers. I don't know if it actually works, but I all the same practise this step. LOL. And the times when I felt lazy together with skip it, it does appear to travel to a greater extent than bitter.

Grandaunt volition launder away the foam, but I'll acre that acre off.

How to gear upwards the cucumber

Back then, grandaunt volition gear upwards the raw ingredients together with and hence create it inwards the rice cooker. She volition identify this correct on hap of the rice when the bubbling equally subsided. So, i volition bring to lookout out for that stage. whatever earlier, the steaming dish volition sink into the rice, whatever later on the cucumber volition non travel cooked properly.

I cooked this inwards the wok together with added about H2O in, because steaming inwards wok makes it drier than inwards rice cooker.



How to gear upwards the toppings
 Normally in that place are no exact rules on how much to put, You tin only guesstimate. Whichever you lot similar more, only pose to a greater extent than :)

Final assembly
 Here I grade you lot a stone oil recipe

Steamed Cucumber alongside Dried Shrimps
Recipe source: WendyinKK
Tasted together with Recreated from Grandaunt's version

1 10 inch long cucumber
1 heaped Tbsp dried shrimp
1 inch ginger
2-4 cloves of garlic (as much equally you lot like)
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt

1. Soak dried shrimps.
2. Peel cucumber (I pare lines only) together with dissever into four long quarters. Slice each quarter into diagonal slices. (Keep the seeds). Place onto a deep dish suitable for retaining liquids after steaming.
3. Bash ginger together with garlic, together with chop everything coarsely together alongside dried shrimp. Sprinkle these on hap of cucumber.
4. Drizzle oil over cucumber together with sprinkle common salt over the cucumber (don't out inwards i spot). Add a few Tbsp of H2O if you're steaming this inwards wok.
5. Steam until they are mushy soft (on high rut for virtually xx minutes, or you lot tin purpose the rice cooker)
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close