Love To Bake Ginger Braised Chicken, My Mom's Style


First of all, Happy Mothers' Day to all mothers.

My mom… how to tell u nearly my mom. Widowed when I was merely 11. She raised us, three siblings together with 1 cousin, fed us well, gave us all nosotros ever needed. No luxuries, but never deprived of anything. We have got our computers, our Nikes(no DKNY or GA), pianoforte lessons(but no piano, I practiced at my teacher’s), Honda C70s(3 of us got three bikes, no cars), local 3rd education, get-go automobile downpayment… all alongside her working from 6am to 6pm inwards a java stall passed downward since my granddad. My dandy granddad had some other store somewhere else, but it’s my granddad that operated this one.

My mom is the type where she’ll play alongside us, scroll on the bed alongside us when nosotros were young. Not all fun at all times, she never spares the cane if nosotros got tooooo funny inwards the house. But I could count how many times I was severely canned, merely 2. And each time, the 2d she set downward her cane, she’ll speedily select handle of ointment to set on our skin. Skin deep… genuinely peel deep. Even at historic stream 63 now, nosotros withal tin select handle of her cervix past times our elbow together with play alongside her. H5N1 really fun mother, but dun endeavor to live besides funny, ya know what I mean.

She retired together with sold off the concern since Hannah came by. Took tending of her together with Joanna together with made that her novel job. One that she never regretted, although she does have jests from others that she forsake coin to live imprisoned alongside kids. To her, cipher is to a greater extent than of import that to have got your granddaughters hug you lot together with osculation you lot everyday, together with missy u similar mad when you’re non around.My mom e'er say,” If you lot don’t accept tending of them, they won’t have got that especial bond alongside you, something that coin cannot buy.”

My mom is a lazy cook. Haha!!! Ask her to create sweetness together with sour pork, together with she’ll give u a stern no. Cos it makes her fry the meat together with create the sauce later, something that she hates to do. Since her retirement, she watched a lot to a greater extent than TV than she used to, together with definitely to a greater extent than cooking shows. She’s improved a lot together with got to a greater extent than adventurous alongside ingredients. Her stews together with braises have got e'er been good, together with these few years, her soup is getting ameliorate together with better. Can u imagine that I taught her how to create when I was half dozen or 7??? If u read my “about me” you’ll know that I picket grandaunt create a lot, together with mom never cooked at habitation that time. For a few weeks, grandaunt wasn’t home, together with mom had to cook. She had to enquire me, what did grandaunt purpose for this dish together with that…. So I became her “sifu”. I was thus bad, telling her ketchup hither together with ketchup there, because I loved ketchup (hey I was 7!!!). together with if she actually did create sweetness together with sour fish, I’ll live in that place instructing her to set inwards to a greater extent than together with to a greater extent than ketchup. If you lot tin imagine how bad her cooking was, I tell you, fifty-fifty her blanched veggie tasted yucks( no ketchup ok)!! What if your kids were thus frank telling u that your cooking sucks??? Will that halt u from cooking?? My mom didn’t, together with she cooked fifty-fifty more(on Sundays). By the fourth dimension I was 9, she could create the most wonderful dinners ever (every woman parent cooks the best!!!!). No to a greater extent than complaints.

This ginger braised chicken is 1 of my mother’s forte. No ketchup here. No 1 does it equally skilful equally she does, together with that includes me, her before “sifu”. Never enquire her for recipes, she never create alongside 1 together with when she does, it e'er sucks. Freehand is e'er ameliorate alongside her. But I’ve jotted downward what I’ve done today(after referring to my woman parent to confirm ingredients used) for ur reference.


My mom's Ginger Braised Chicken
1.2kg chicken whole legs (3 pcs)
80gm ginger, julienned (about ¾ cup)
ii Tbsp oil
½ tbsp salt
ii Tbsp oyster sauce
three Tbsp low-cal soy sauce
1 tsp night soy sauce
¾ tsp saccharide or slightly to a greater extent than if ginger is pretty hot
three cups H2O

1. Chop chicken legs into pieces, I chopped them into 8 pieces each.
2. Heat wok until really hot. Put inwards crude oil together with fry ginger until fragrant.
3. Make certain the wok is good smeared alongside the ginger oil. Put inwards chicken together with spread it around. Do non toss them immediately. Let it sit down inwards the wok for xxx seconds, together with thus alone u start to purpose ur spatula to flip the chicken pieces. Stir fry chicken inwards wok until the chicken looks opaque together with peel starts to chocolate-brown slightly.
4. Put inwards all the seasonings. And hap to stir fry until the seasonings dry out upwards a bit, but live careful non to burn.
5. Put inwards H2O together with simmer on medium depression oestrus until chicken is tender.

My mother’s advice: Best if cooked inwards a claypot.
And weeks later, after I did this, she did this, together with luckily I was in that place to capture the process. This is my mummy dearest doing her best dish, non me.



And lastly a flick of my mom alongside Lyanne.... consider their resemblence?? Lyanne is really attached to her, fifty-fifty though they encounter nnly 1 time a month. Lyanne fifty-fifty sleeps alongside my mom :)

And here's some other 1 alongside all her grandkids


These pics were taken 8 months back, thus everybody has grown..
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close