Steamed Barbecue Pork Buns (Char Siu Bao) – Sweet, Steamy Memories

In younger, leaner times, I’d frequently rely on the delicious, cheap calorie bomb that is the steamed barbecue pork bun. They were twice the size, together with for a few bucks y'all could operate real full…for nearly xxx minutes, together with and therefore y'all were starving again. Nothing a Mission-style burrito couldn’t fix.

Anyway, the filling was chopped Chinese-style barbecue pork mixed alongside to a greater extent than or less form of mysterious, gelatinous ruby-red sauce, which was significantly sweeter than what I’m doing here. 

That’s likely why they don’t seem to come upwards out quite the same every bit I remember. I likely postulate a lot to a greater extent than sugar, also every bit copious amounts of MSG. Having said that, I was pretty pleased alongside my insides, but every bit commons I encourage y'all to freestyle. 

Here’s a link to a fairly classic pork bun filling recipe, inwards illustration y'all desire something slightly to a greater extent than authentic, together with since it looks only similar the materials I mentioned above, I mightiness hand it a endeavor side past times side time. But, regardless what y'all fill upwards yours with, I actually create promise y'all hand these a endeavor soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 12 Steamed Barbecue Pork Buns (Char Siu Bao):
For the dough:
3/4 cups warm H2O
1 1/2 teaspoons dry out active yeast
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
2 cups *self-rising flour
For the filling (this made to a greater extent than than I needed):
2 cups chopped Chinese-style barbecue pork, or other barbecued pork product
1/4 loving cup finely sliced greenish onions
2 teaspoons sesame crude
1/4 loving cup hoisin sauce, or every bit needed
salt (soy sauce) together with cayenne to sense of savor
2 teaspoons white sugar, optional

*If y'all don't convey self-rising flour, y'all tin dismiss usage two cups all-purpose flour sifted alongside iii teaspoons baking pulverization together with 1 teaspoon fine tabular array salt.
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close