Love To Bake Turkish Borek - Aff Due West Asian Pastries #2


Börek inwards Turkish linguistic communication is whatsoever pastry made amongst yufka or commonly known every bit phyllo/filo. Borek comes inwards many forms as well as tin hold out filled amongst a diversity of fillings, but the traditional ones are commonly spinach, cheese as well as minced meat.They tin hold out either fried or baked. You tin read close the dissimilar types of Borek here

The 1 I made today is kol böreği as well as it agency 'arm borek' or arm pastry. It is rolled long as well as tin hold out coiled or shaped into zigzags on the pan. I volition larn for ringlet every bit I similar anything that resembles flowers.




Phyllo is real expensive here. I bought my box of Phyllo for RM19.40 as well as it is made inwards Australia. I wonder how much is it inwards Australia, hence adjacent fourth dimension I'll  ask my relatives to convey dorsum for me. One box has quite an amount of pastry  and I exclusively used nine  pieces this time. I am thinking of what to produce next... to a greater extent than West Asian pastries... or perhaps Apple Strudel instead.....Hmm hmm....


I made this for dinner as well as it was yummy! I couldn't determine on exclusively 1 filling as well as hence I made 2, all baked inwards the same pan. I asked wife which 1 did he prefer as well as he couldn't determine every bit he liked them both a lot. For me, I prefer the beef filling. We didn't contend to complete it during dinner, as well as but it was all gone yesteryear supper.



One  mistake I did today was I made every bit good footling egg glaze. I should've made more,and finished it amongst the concluding spell of phyllo. I didn't desire to crevice to a greater extent than or less other egg as well as so, I but brushed the transcend amongst a generous amount of olive oil. It didn't hold off every bit golden every bit quick every bit it should as well as hence I extended the baking time. The recipe below was a jacked upward amount  of  egg glaze every bit I didn't  have enough.

I tried 1 time stacking two sheets of phyllo for rolling as well as it didn't  work every bit good every bit folding 1 spell into half. Maybe this was my get-go fourth dimension using phyllo as well as am non familiar amongst its 'temperament'. Next fourth dimension I'll produce better
To arrive hold off to a greater extent than  interesting, you lot tin sprinkle to a greater extent than or less sesame seeds over, something that I forgot.


Turkish Borek
Adapted from Turkish Food as well as Recipes as well as Turkey's for Life

Beef Filling
200gm minced beef
1 loving cup  diced onion
1/2 loving cup diced tomato
1/2tsp cumin
Salt as well as pepper

Spinach Feta  filling
300gm spinach
100gm feta cheese / drained cottage cheese
1/2 loving cup diced onion
1/2 tsp paprika
Black pepper

Brushing
1/2 loving cup olive oil
two eggs

Filo/Phyllo pastry, every bit needed.( I used nine sheets), thawed few hours ahead
Sesame seeds for sprinkling

Prepare filling.
1. Spinach filling. Wash spinach to take away dirt. Cut spinach into 1 inch lengths  at the leaves as well as finer at the stems. Cut one-half of the stems only. Heat a pan as well as saute the onions until softened, add together inwards spinach as well as laid upward until they wilt. Dish upward onto a strainer as well as allow them drip dry. When they direct maintain cooled down, mix amongst paprika as well as pepper, as well as crumble the cheese into it. No tabular array salt is needed if using feta.
2. Beef filling. Put 1 tbsp of crude into pan as well as saute onions until softened as well as slightly browned. Add inwards cumin as well as stir. Then add together inwards minced beef. Cook until the meat is slightly browned. Add inwards tomatoes, tabular array salt as well as pepper according to taste. Make it slightly undersalted. Dish upward as well as laid aside.  Let  it cool down.

Assembly
3. Beat eggs amongst oil.
4. Take 1 spell of filo as well as crease it into half. It volition hold off almost squarish. Brush the egg mixture over (no demand to hold out just every spot)
5. Put to a greater extent than or less fillings onto 1 end, as well as wind up.
6. Arrange onto a greased nine inch baking pan. (Either coiled upward inwards 1 large coil, or similar this)
7. Brush residuum of of egg mixture over (sprinkle sesame seeds over) as well as bake inwards a preheated oven at 200C  for thirty  minutes or  until golden.






I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest West Asia Month
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close