Love To Bake Ruby Velvet Cake Experiment Amongst Roselle


I accept ever wished to brand a Red Velvet Cake, but rattling very hesitant due to the amount of cherry colouring used.

So, I experimented amongst Roselle, a natural source of cherry pigment.
I boiled twenty pieces of roselle's calyces amongst water, reduced the infusion in addition to got this, a super concentrated reddish paste.


The pot was notwithstanding left amongst lots of pigments in addition to and thence I rinsed the pot with
1. Evaporated milk (left)
2. Yogurt. (right)
This is to melt the dried pigments on the walls of the pot, it's notwithstanding a lot of colour, in addition to thence don't waste product it.


No, I didn't rinse the same pot twice. But I did it twice, cos the showtime cake became a dark grey cake. I was laughing at the cake when I saw it out from the oven.

If yous noticed, the left painting that has the excess paint melted inwards evaporated milk, to a greater extent than bluish than the i on the right, which was yogurt. Anthocyanin, the paint introduce inwards Roselle, reacts in addition to changes color according to Ph. If it is exposed to alkaline metal conditions, it turns blue, in addition to inwards acid, red. Just similar the Ph indicator dorsum inwards your chemical scientific discipline classes. Milk is a weak acid (pH 6.4-6.8) and yogurt is to a greater extent than acidic(pH 4-5). Same goes for blueberries, if yous add together lemon juice to your huckleberry H2O ice cream, live on certain to acquire magenta coloured H2O ice cream, the to a greater extent than lemon juice yous add, the "reddish" it becomes but if no lemon juice is used, it stays bluish blue blue. Same goes for cherry cabbage.

Ok, halt talking almost anthocyanins. But await at my results, adapted from Tartelette's 1st cake

First cake,

The surface looked nighttime grayness in addition to the cake is brownish grey. But gustatory modality wise, fabulous!! My blood brother inwards police finished upwards the cake in addition to inititated to larn from me. I laughed at it, cos it was a failed experiment.
I thought, perhaps the batter wasn't acidic plenty for it to rest red, because initially I idea the roselles are pretty sour, in addition to thence amongst the acid inwards it, should live on plenty to react amongst the baking soda used, in addition to thence I didn't bother to role buttermilk/yogurt. The batter genuinely turned bluish earlier the cocoa pulverisation was added in, which was why I knew it's non acidic enough. Not fifty-fifty the vinegar could assistance me. I was hoping for a bluish cake, but hahaha, a grayness cake came out.

The s cake,
I used yogurt this fourth dimension for the batter to live on acidic, in addition to the outcome was disastrous. It looked redder than the 1st cake, but roselle is only non potent plenty to overcome the cocoa powder. It was rattling magenta-ish earlier the cocoa pulverisation was added in, but i time the chocolate-brown pulverisation went it...... it no longer stayed pretty.
And gustatory modality wise, it was genuinely horrible. It sticks.. non to the finger, but the palate. Found it difficult to swallow. I guess with roselle concentrate, yogurt in addition to vinegar, it became equally good acidic in addition to perhaps that's why it is in addition to thence dry out in addition to crumbly in addition to mucilaginous inwards the mouth. Threw the whole cake away, it was inedible.

I jurist my request for a roselle coloured Red Velvet Cake shall cease here. The natural paint is only no challenger amongst the niggling flake of cocoa powder. It only can't overcome it. I've tried baking amongst Roselles earlier in addition to the color came out overnice in addition to pretty, but it only don't locomote together amongst cocoa powder. I mightiness only come upwards up amongst a magenta coloured cake... but non Red Velvet Cake.

BTW, delight don't advise beetroot to me. I'm keeping cherry velvet cake away from me forever.
Buat lebih berguna, kongsi:
close